Prep Day

Prep Day

Firstly I have to apologise for the delay in blogging. We have had some serious issues with our tech centre but thanks to David and Rich at Verizon, they sorted it all out for us today! I promise I will get back on top of all the blogging and will update the last couple of days in the next 48 hrs. Here is a short blog about our penultimate day before my departure.

A Quick Shave

I popped over to Paul Molé for a quick shave sorted out by King of Shaves and Remington, to make sure I was looking good for my first day. It was my first experience of a traditional ‘cut-throat’ razor shave, and it was amazing. If and when I move back to NYC I will frequent that place more than once a week. So, a big thank you to my sponsors for sorting that out and especially Diane Wood, Queen of Shaves, who made sure I was looked after.



As soon as I was shaved I headed over to Linden, New Jersey to pick up the RV, my home for the next three months. This wasn’t an easy task and then getting it back into Manhattan was even harder without a Sat Nav. I finally got it to upper Manhattan, picked up all my stuff from the apartment where I had been staying, I have to say a huge thanks to Louie and Lilly for looking after my RV whilst I packed it. I then went to the Financial District to meet my support team, James & Nigel, before getting a bite to eat.


Support Team

We had to meet close to Ground Zero as I couldn’t get into the heart of the FD due to the size of the streets. I take my hat off to Nigel, my driver, who had been awake for a considerable number of hours and was still happy to go out and have dinner prior to getting down to Long Beach, the start line, where we would rest for the night!

Long Beach

Wow, this was a mission, to drive a little over 25 miles it too us nearly 2 hours. Mainly due to all the low bridges that we met along the way. Trust me when I say this, anytime I see a low bridge sign my heart sinks. The RV is 13′ 6″ and most bridges in and around NYC are lower than that! Anyway we arrived at about 2.15 and I was tucked up in bed by 2.30 for 3 hrs kip prior to my early rise, 5.30 for the start line.

All in all, a very busy day, but we had to get it all done due to time constraints and getting set off on the Sunday.

Jon Beeby
  • Dave L Emerson
    Posted at 03:33h, 05 May

    David from Verizon wishes you the best of luck!

  • Hazel P
    Posted at 11:26h, 05 May

    Good luck mate! x

  • Tvj_oliver
    Posted at 15:18h, 05 May

    So I just looked where you are – you’re making good progress … but then I panned out to the whole of the US – ahhhhhh!! well done sugar plum xx (p.s. 4 weeks till exams are over and then a whole lot of Breckenridge job searching is going to happen!)

  • Vicx
    Posted at 15:36h, 05 May

    Hey hun, hope you remembered your comped! Doing well so far, keep at it!!xxxx

  • Gilbo
    Posted at 18:50h, 06 May

    Mate remember this one: Fasten your seatbelt! by pendulum? listen to it. I remember us dancing to this in the Hive. Good luck. Always think of the end goal. Keep it legal. Gilbo

  • James
    Posted at 23:20h, 06 May

    Good luke dude, just think it’s only about 3000 miles!!! You nutter.

  • Nigel Usher
    Posted at 01:17h, 07 May

    Can’t you walk a bit faster? I’ve been sitting in this RV for hours! Nigel

  • Alex from Beckenham Ladies
    Posted at 16:41h, 07 May

    Hey Mr Beebs. The Ladies are all supporting your big start. Remember to visualise winning- all negative thoughts out of it- just focus on your job cos your amazing. If you need any more pep-talks we’ve got a season of yours to play back to you!!!

    I’m really just writing this to let you know that the Ladies got club team of the year and I just wanted to say a quick thanks for all your work. This is the power of good rugby and why the Tag Trust is so good.

    Good luck Beebs,